His excellency, Satyadev Narain Arya [born at Gandhi Tola, Rajgir in district Nalanda (Bihar) on July 1, 1939] is Governor of Haryana, a senior BJP leader and an eight-term MLA in Bihar.
He is M.A and law graduate from Patna University.
He held the portfolios of Minister of Rural Development from 1979-80 and Minister of Mines and Geology, Bihar, in 2010. He has been elected Member of Bihar Vidhan Sabha eight times from Rajgir assembly constituency.
He has been President of Schedule Caste Cell of Bihar state BJP for two terms from 1988-1998.
As per Haryana Act No. 21 of 2009 (section 9):
1. The Governor of Haryana by virtue of his office shall be the Chancellor of the university.
2. The Chancellor shall be the head of the University.
3. The Chancellor shall, if present, preside over the convocation of the University for conferring degrees and over the meetings of the court.
4. The Chancellor shall have the right:-
(i) to cause an inspection to be made, by such person or persons as he may direct, of the University, its buildings, laboratories and equipment and of any college or institution maintained by the university and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the university; and
(ii) to cause an inquiry to be made in like manner in respect of any matter connected with the administration of finances of the university, colleges or institutions.
5. The Chancellor shall, in every case, give notice to the university of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made and on receipt of such notice, the university shall have the right to make such representation to the Chancellor as it may consider necessary.
6. After considering the representation, if any, made by the University, the Chancellor may cause to be made such inspection or inquiry as is referred to in sub-section (4).
7. Where any inspection or inquiry has been caused to be made by the Chancellor, the university shall be entitled to appoint a representative who shall have the right to be present and to be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
8. The Chancellor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made in respect of the University or any college or institution maintained by it, address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of such inspection or inquiry and the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Executive Council the views of the Chancellor and the action to be taken thereon as advised by the Chancellor.
9. The Executive Council shall communicate through the Vice-Chancellor to the Chancellor such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
10. Where the Executive Council does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Chancellor, the Chancellor, may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Executive Council, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Executive Council shall comply with such directions.
11. Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Chancellor, may
by order in writing, annul any proceedings of the University, which are not in conformity with this Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances;
Provided that before making any such order he shall call upon the University to show cause why such an order should not be made, and if any cause is shown within a reasonable time, he shall consider the same.
12. The Chancellor may, at any time, require or direct the University to act in conformity with the provisions of this Act and the Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations made there under.
13. The power exercised by the Chancellor under sub-section (11) and sub-section (12) shall not be called in question in any Civil Court.
14. Any employee of the University who is aggrieved by the decisions of the Executive Council or the Vice-Chancellor in respect of any disciplinary action taken against him, may address a memorial to the Chancellor in such manner as may be prescribed by Statutes and the decision of the Chancellor shall be final.
15. The Chancellor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.