Centre for Energy Studies, JC Bose University of Science & Technology, YMCA Faridabad has been established under the aegis of the Faculty of Interdisciplinary Studies and Research in February 2021. Energy and Environment are interdisciplinary by nature and need expertise in many different domains. A wide range of subjects related to Energy is already being taught by individual faculties, which is already serving as a base for energy studies and research. The Centre will provide a platform to integrate expertise from various disciplines such as Mechanical, Electrical, and Civil Engineering as well as Physical, Chemical, and Life Sciences with a major focus on Energy and Environment for carrying out teaching, research, and consultancy.
Under CES, research on various fields, such as Clean and Sustainable Technologies in the areas of biomass, combustion and utilization of fuels, solar energy, hydro, clean coal, and also prime movers like new cycle using supercritical CO2, energy storage, gas turbines, IC engines for alternative fuels, smart grids, etc. as well as smart grids shall also be taken up. Towards addressing efficient energy conversion, the Centre will also focus on the technological aspects of climate change and mitigation options on other environmental issues associated with Energy.
The major Objectives of the Centre for Energy Studies (CES) are to:
- impart training in the field of energy production, utilization, and conservation
- cater to environmental issues associated with the production and consumption of energy.
- promote efficient renewable and clean energy technologies for sustainable development;
- conduct research to understand and provide solutions to the challenges in the energy sector;
- optimize energy systems for the best performance;
- develop efficient alternatives to the present energy conversion techniques;
- conduct conferences/seminars/symposia/workshops and training for discussion and dissemination of relevant information;
- create an interface between all stakeholders viz. industry, academia, and beneficiaries for mutual interaction and promotion of energy-related processes/products;
- suggest suitable energy policies;
- offer consultancy service to the industries to find solutions to their challenges;
- to encourage the adoption of low-carbon pathways
- Confront climate change and promote sustainable development by introducing new and innovative technologies.
- Establish collaborations with national/international departments, industry, and academia for research and development
Students completing degrees in the Centre would be equipped with a set of technological, design and managerial skills which would enable them to make significant contributions to the Energy and Environment Sector. It is expected that some of the entrepreneurially minded ones would develop an innovative mindset and they would launch their own energy enterprises or join start-ups working on issues relevant to energy and the environment. Students taking to the entrepreneurial route would not only have a challenging and creative career which they would experience, but it would also ensure the creation of employment and wealth at the grassroots level. Graduates of various programs would be eligible to apply for the position of Environmental Engineers at State and Central Government pollution control boards upon qualifying relevant examinations. In addition, those interested in employment would find offers from the following industries /sectors:
- Ministries and Policy Wings of the Central & State Governments
- Energy and Environment Consultancies for Small and Micro Sector
- International Development Agencies
- Industry CSR Divisions & Foundations working for Energy Sector
- Voluntary Organisations working in Energy and Environment Sectors at Grassroots
Other than the Government and Non-govt organizations, sector, successful graduates can apply for vacancies in several prestigious private firms.
- Dr. Smita